Monday, June 13, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of Mane Pulling...

Today we are going to attempt to pull our mane. It is just something that is going to have to happen. Nothing else is working and it is the only solution. Going up to the barn around 2 today where I'll lunge Ben and do a dressage school. I'm thinking of working alot of serpentines, leg yields, changes of bend in the trotwork and then maybe working a bit on counter-canter or canter-walk-canter for the canterwork.

Then I will untack him, section off a small section of his mane to work on today (thinking of starting in the middle because I feel like that would be a less sensitive area. It's also thickest there.), linimenting his crest to hopefully numb it somewhat, and then pulling it. He needs to man up and get over it.

Now what will probably actually happen is that after the first pull he will flinch and when I go for the second pull, his head will be in the rafters, and he'll be backing up threatening to break the crossties. I will then give up and pull out the SoloComb and then cry for the two hours I am braiding him this Saturday.

But really, I'm going to try it. All I would have to do is pull it really well once and then if I just kept up with it there wouldn't be a problem. If I do about a 3 or 4 inch section everyday until Saturday, the thickest part should at least be braidable and the front and back of his mane is actually pretty nice. You should see how nice my first two, and last three braids look!

I will let you all know how it goes when I get home tonight. Wish us luck!


Ben was a very good boy today, his canters were really fantastic. Let's hope he keeps this up for Sunday!

So I pulled his mane an eensy teensy little bit today. Got about 1/5 of it done. Of course thats the part near his withers that isn't that thick anyway. But it is certainly a start. He wasn't thrilled at first but I was only pulling out very few hairs at a time. Maybe 4 or 5 tops. He was shaking his head a bit but I just kept going and he got over it for about 10 minutes. Then he was done and I was fine with that. It was remarkably better than it usually is. We'll work on it again tomorrow and hopefully we'll have a semi braidable mane by Saturday.
Or a miracle, that would work too...

No comments:

Post a Comment