Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Welcome!

Hello everyone!
I am going to attempt to make this first post short and sweet as to not bore any potential readers to tears.

I decided to create this blog because I wanted a way to document the progress in my riding and I wanted to be able to share everything that comes along with moving forward in horse sports with other people who have been through the same things and know exactly what I'm talking about. I also wanted to be able to look back at my posts to see if we are ready to make our move from Novice to Training when the time comes. That is where this blog gets its name. 

I have only had my horse for about a year now. He is an 8 (going on 9 in 3 days) year old PMU rescue. And by PMU rescue, I mean I have no idea what the heck he is. He has some kind of draft and some kind of Morgany-Arab thing going on but besides that, I haven't got a clue. He's only 15.1 hands high and he's a little on the stocky side (not heavy, just stocky) but he is quite the powerhouse and he can jump very well. While he didn't get the bad attributes of draft horses thankfully (heavy, hard to condition, jumping is hard on their legs, etc.) he sure didn't get many of the good attributes either (calm, quiet, easy going, etc.). He is quite the fireball, as I like to call him, and he gets very excited.

We compete at the Novice level consistently. Our dressage isn't the best but we have been taking dressage lessons and we have improved greatly. He loves to jump and he sure knows his job when it comes to that. He loves cross country but he likes to think there are monsters in the ditches.

I know that Ben can compete at Training level easily and I am looking to move up when the time comes. This will most likely not be this season, but maybe the spring/early summer of the next season, or even the fall of next season. I am not, however, in any rush and I am of the group that says when we're ready, we're ready and if we're not, we're not. I honestly think that my horse could go Prelim one day, and I hope I'm right but right now I'm only focusing on doing the best we possibly can at Novice for the time being so that when we do move up to Training, it will be easy, and no big deal.

Thanks for reading and I hope you stick around. The adventure has just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment